Approximately ¼ of Americans state that they are under extreme stress. They rate their stress levels at an 8, 9 or 10 on a 10 point scale. Most people also state that their stress levels are increasing instead of decreasing.
Are you aware that chronic stress that continues to eat away at you over time is linked to serious illness? When constantly under extreme stress like loss of a job, relationship troubles or financial worries chronic diseases can develop such as heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, depression and even cancer. The fact is the body is not able to differentiate your physical health from emotions caused by unpleasant life circumstances.
Statistics show 94% of adults believe stress can contribute to the development of a serious illness. Unfortunately only 29% say they are doing an excellent or even good job at preventing themselves from succumbing to it. Stress reduction has to be an ongoing commitment.Managing your stress level is crucial to optimal health. Below are some strategies to send your stress packing!
- Rest- Take a break or meditate. Even 10 minutes to sit quietly can trigger the relaxation response. Quiet your mind and meditate which can decrease feelings of anxiety.
- Breathe– Focus on your breathing.Your mind can only do one thing at a time.
- Breathe out completely. Breathe in for a count of four then hold your breath for a count of four. Breathe out for a count of four, then hold your breath out for a count of four. Repeat for a minute or longer if you choose. If for any reason you feel light headed go, back to your normal breathing pattern. This four count breathing can be practiced anywhere and anytime.
- Practice Appreciation- When a person focuses on worry or what is missing in their life there is usually a feeling of discontent.What can you appreciate in this moment. Focus on that instead of what you feel is missing.
- Spend Time with Positive People – Loneliness can be a major source of stress. Connect with people around you, even if it is only for a brief period. Join a club or community that will put you in contact with people that share your interests.
- Diffuse Essential Oils- Essential oils have healing properties. A cool mist diffuser with bergamot, lavender and ylang-ylang can decrease anxiety, depression and enhance well-being.
- Feed Your Body– Schedule time for meals when you don’t have to rush. Also gut health is of utmost importance. A leaky gut can wreak havoc on the rest of your body. Eat plenty of fermented foods. Learn how to make your own kefir and kombucha tea.
For more Info visit: www.centerforalternativehealingandwellness.com